People power our business. At Marsh, we value the individuality of each of our colleagues because our differences make us stronger as we drive for innovation and excellence globally.
In over 40 countries our people represent our collective strength. We are committed not only to providing an inclusive environment where our colleagues can thrive but also to ensuring we create a place where, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, abilities, religion, gender identity and expression, everyone can succeed.
Not only does our business benefit, so do our clients: we provide better, more innovative solutions, advice and services by harnessing the collective knowledge and experiences of all of our colleagues.
Our philosophy is to approach diversity by adopting a broad range of mechanisms – rather than just taking a singular approach – and embed it in our day-to-day business operations, creating one mission, vision, and purpose across our global organisation. This multi-layered strategy is more likely to have the effect of reinforcing a culture of inclusion and respect for differences at all levels within the firm.
Some of our initiatives include:
- Now in its third year, Marsh is an active sponsor of Dive In, the festival for diversity and inclusion in insurance led by Lloyds. Last year, Marsh hosted and participated in Dive In events in London and around the world, setting the agenda on issues such as global travel for LGBT people, leveraging diversity of thought, and challenging perceptions of mental illness.
- As part of our campaign to support last year’s International Day Against Homophobia, Transphobia and Biphobia, over 450 colleagues from Marsh pledged to become LGBT ‘allies’, to promote a more inclusive workplace culture.
- Our global Colleague Resource Groups (CRG), including Pride@Marsh, Women’s Exchange, Young Professionals, and Marsh Cares, are particularly active in the UK and designed to empower colleagues as well as engage with the wider Marsh community.
- The annual Summer Talent Programme, which was launched in London in 2016, aims to attract young people from different backgrounds and give them the opportunity to engage with and return to Marsh, while creating ambassadors for the firm and the insurance industry as a whole in their communities.
- The Marsh Graduate Development Programme actively pursues a policy of securing a 50/50 gender split with our graduate interns, which has been achieved for over four years.
- We apply a diversity ‘lens’ in our talent review and succession planning process, meaning that our pipeline of future leaders will be more culturally and gender diverse.
Diversity is integral to the future success of our firm, our colleagues, clients, the communities in which we work – and to the UK insurance industry itself.